“Water Healing” has been used for centuries as a Therapy/Rehab tool. There are reasons for its success;
– Helps lower Pain levels, by decreasing compression forces on the joints.
– The Bouyancy effect helps decrease “Muscle Guarding” around joints, which decreases spasm and pain.
– Use as a testing tool for Movement, Fitness, Strength, throughout a Rehab program.
Scientifically, Water uses some physics-based principles that makes it successful. Principles called FORCES!
– Bouyancy counteracts gravity by creating an upward buoyant motion and resists motion away from the surface.
95% of the body can be buoyant in water, depending on the amount of body or body part submerged.
– Specific Gravity varies the amount of Bouyancy , through the weight and structure of a body part (eg. Muscle, bone, fat
distribution and Oxygen).
– Cohesive Force is a resistant force formed by water molecules that bind together, creating Surface tension, which is
what we see in ‘Still’ water. Water is a ‘Cohesive’ force until disturbed!
– Bow Force is generated in front of an object through movement. Object moves creating a pressure in the front and also
a decrease of pressure behind the object. These different hi and lo pressure areas create ‘Turbulence”, which creates
a ‘Drag Force’. This Drag Force becomes an advantage in .rehab & .Fitness programs, because it can be controlled. By
changing the shape, speed and movement of an object or body.
The advantage of using Water in a Therapy / Fitness program, is how minimally or maximally we can use its Forces to
produce positive results we are looking for. The disadvantage is have the space and location for a H2O facility.
Prentice. W.E. Rehabilitation Techniques in Sports Medicine. 2nd Edition