What is S.A.D?
Seasonal Depression, otherwise known as S.A.D- is defined as “a mood disorder subset in which people who have normal mental health throughout most of the year experience depressive symptoms at the same time each year, most commonly in the winter.”
Although there is no specific testing to determine if you have Seasonal Depression, the symptoms are plain;
-Loss of sex drive
-Decreased activity level
-Overeating, especially of carbohydrates, with associated with weight gain
– In severe instances, seasonal affective disorder can be associated with thoughts of suicide – in which case please see your family Doctor-
Here are six ways to naturally boost serotonin levels which aid S.A.D:
1. Take a vitamin B-complex (required to make serotonin).
2. Sunlight- Spend time in direct natural sunlight
3. Probiotic – Serotonin is mostly made up in the gut and probiotics help balance gut function and nutrient absorption
4. Trytophen – Also necessary to produce serotonin but commonly not absorbed properly with other proteins – Taking a supplement helps
5.Massage- Massage and physical touch have been proven to raise serotonin levels
6. Exercise- Any exercise -but most commonly cardio- raises serotonin levels substantially
For more information book a massage therapy session with one of our trusted RMT’S
OR with our Naturopath, Dr. Cerf, today!